WASTING TIME (MINE & YOURS)

Friday, May 30, 2008

Thanks, love, monsters

Many thanks to all of my lovely friends, family and homies who made it a great 30th birthday.

Much love to those who have given me lots of support lately because of nightmare family drama. Mad, crazy love to Matt.

Last night I watched Cloverfield. What a honkin' piece of crap. What a freakin' gip. What a waste of time. It's a monster movie (although perhaps it's really a disaster movie as my husband pointed out) but they barely show the ding dang monster! Bits, pieces, glimpses of monster but nothing that makes ferocious monster seem tangible. The handheld camera stuff was gimmicky and tired. Look to the Danish for better handheld work and take a tip, you oh-so-hip makers of Cloverfield. The asinine characters that populated the movie just irritated me and I wanted them to get eaten. They bored me and irritated me from the beginning. Plus, there was not much monster and I wanted a lot more monster.

For a terrific monster movie, see the Korean film The Host. That movie was so rad. The monster shows up in the beginning (in broad daylight) and starts marauding and wreaking havoc whilst frolicking in the sunlight so that you can get a good, long gander at him. The host monster is given loads of screen time even though it's arguably a family drama rather than a monster movie. Plus, the characters are cool and sympathetic. I loved The Host. It was the highest grossing South Korean film of all time, and for good reason. I didn't love The Host because of it's relatively "happy" ending, nor did I hate Cloverfield for it's obtuse, fatalistic ending. I loved The Host for it's success in revamping the old monster movie cliches and I hated Cloverfield for it's pretentiousness (and sort of pretending not to really be a monster movie). I'd rather watch a hundred silly Sci-Fi originals than be subjected to that nonsense hipster bull that Cloverfield fed me.

Okay, enough ranting. Since I mentioned Sci-Fi originals, there's really good news on the Drago tip, folks! Then exceptional Billy Drago will be in a new movie premiering on Saturday June 28th at 9pm! It's called Copperhead and it's about a Wild West town that's terrorized by thousands of poisonous snakes. Snakes on the Plains. Wow, that's a horrible joke! Sorry. Anyway, mark your calendars cause this one's sure to be a winner (it's got Drago so it's better than Cloverfield already).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wikipedia reports rumors of a sequel type movie for Cloverfield where another person in the city has his own camera and documents the evening from his point of view. Maybe this other guy will find it more important to get good shots of the monster before he gets ripped in half - we can hope, then again, do we really care?

Misty Beethoven said...

No, we don't care.

iso.bot said...

Happy Belated Birthday, my dear!!!! I'm sorry I missed the festivities (but james and i did say happy birthday to you on sunday, i hope you heard it)

I think that when you guys come over we will have an outdoor Drago-fest. How does that sound? You can try to sway me over to this confusing Drago dark side.

Misty Beethoven said...

Thank you, sweetie! Outdoor Drago could be really special. Matt and I will have to pick a good one. This Copperhead movie sounds verrrrry promising!
Hope NYC was amazing like always!

kim said...

I know it's late but happy, happy 30th! Here's hoping that the years keep getting better and better (after all, anything is better than middle school, right?). Smooches!!! :)