WASTING TIME (MINE & YOURS)

Monday, October 6, 2008

Hits and misses


I hit the movies a couple of times this week. I missed Nick Cave.

I can't believe I missed Nick Cave, but it was a necessary evil. We have a new guy starting at work today and it was indicated that I must be here today. Of course, the day has arrived and the new guy is training but not with me so I'm twiddling my thumbs, blogging and being generally stagnant. I missed Nick Cave...for this? Being professional and mature and career-oriented can really blow sometimes.

I went to the movies twice in the past week. My dad and I bonded. We went to a movie together for the first time since I was in high school. He took me to see Appaloosa which was pretty good. Oddly, I'm a fan of a good Western, and this one was pretty good. Viggo Mortensen looks pretty delicious in a 'stache and goatee. Plus, it's been far too long since I've seen Jeremy Irons in anything and he was reliably excellent. Renee Zellweger kind of stunk, but otherwise it was a decent Western.

Choke was awesome. Absolutely excellent. I had seen the preview and was interested based on the weird plot (sex addict chokes in restaurants on purpose and preys on his rescuers to get money to pay for his mother's stay in a mental hospital/care facility). Plus, Sam Rockwell is the lead and I just adore him. The movie turned out to be everything that I had hoped for plus some. I haven't read Chuck Palahniuk's novel that the film is based upon, but the film is dark and funny and everything that the trailer promised and more. The music is great (Ben Kweller, Radiohead, etc.) and the supporting players are outstanding. Angelica Huston is the crazy mom, Kelly McDonald is the hot doctor taking care of the mom, and Brad William Henke as the best friend who happens to be a chronic masturbator. Choke doesn't stand much chance of being in theatres very long, so I strongly recommend seeing soon if you have the chance.

No comments: