WASTING TIME (MINE & YOURS)

Monday, September 8, 2008

Random stuff from the weekend

Tropical storm Hanna showed up and they cancelled crappy Bay Days. Yay! Suck it, Hornsby!

It rained a little but we never lost power. An extremely large tree branch snapped and miraculously fell right in between our hedges and our house. Six inches in either direction and we might have had a crisis.

Matt and I got to snuggle up and watch tons of movies. Dark City on Blu-Ray was pretty luscious. Tropic Thunder at the theatre was pretty hilarious. Eagle vs. Shark has Jemaine Clement from Flight of the Conchords. It was sort of New Zealand's answer to Napoleon Dynamite and it was much better than I expected. I want to get a copy of Penelope and now also one of Eagle vs. Shark.

I learned how to play Yahtzee and I walloped poor Matt again and again.

Finally, I watched the new Criterion edition of Night on Earth that I got for my birthday. It was Matt's first time seeing it and he loved it. I adored it, I always will love it. That film started my love affair with independent cinema. My grandmother took me to the Kimball Theatre in Williamsburg to see it in early 1992 when I had just turned 14. I wanted to see it because I read that Winona Ryder was in it (remember back in 1992 when Winona Ryder was still the coolest girl on the planet?). I got a lot more than I bargained for, of course. The film was amazing, plus I heard the voice of Tom Waits for the first time and I was hooked. My grandmother bought me the soundtrack on cassette not longer after and it's still one of my most beloved treasures. Now here we are, 16 years later and Night on Earth is still just as wonderful and funny and heartbreaking as it was when it was first released.

No comments: