WASTING TIME (MINE & YOURS)

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hola amigos!

I'm back from the insanity of New York City! It was wonderful and crazy and exhausting and a terrific experience.

In the past week, I've been to 1 David Byrne show, 2 Indigo bellydance shows, 2 Yard Dogs Road Shows, 3+ hrs of yoga classes and 4 hrs of dance workshops. I've walked about 150,000 miles. I've slept a total of 13 hrs (it feels that way). It was marvelous and I am just so happy to know that I'm not so old and decrepit that I am incapable of physical activity. I may be tired and sore but I'm not dead!

I have so much to write, but I can't cause I have to catch up on work. So I'll start with a couple of random details.

I had the best fried chicken I've ever tasted at a little Asian fusion restaurant in SoHo. It had a ginger mayo sauce and it was light and crispy and delicious and I wish I knew the name of that ding dang restaurant.

Leah is delightful and she's an excellent yoga instructor. I took two classes with her and they were amazing. One girl who took the class is a big yoga fanatic from San Fransisco who was visiting with a friend. I heard her exclaim as she exited with her friend "Dude! That was so f^c#ing awesome!" And it was really f'ing awesome. Plus, Leah's new man is super nice. I dig him.

The Birchmere in Alexandria is weird. You eat there and watch the show from a weird angle. Most seats are perpendicular to the stage so you have to twist around and it's uncomfortable.

The Yard Dogs Road Show is an extraordinary experience. They tour as a band but each member has some interesting talents. The most amazing was Tobias the Mystic Man, who performed a feat so incredible that I am still reeling from amazement.

I got to go to kidrobot store which was everything I had hoped it would be. I spent way too much money on little plastic toys. The Anna Sui store is still my favorite shop in the whole wide world and I would live there if I could. Seriously, I would move there. I have decorated my second bedroom to resemble that shop and it makes me so happy. It's glorious and I am so happy that I got to go back there and get treasures.

I also happened upon Earwax records in Brooklyn. I think I've ended up there each and every time I've been to New York. Every time I find something cool and unexpected, like the amazing new album by the Tindersticks that I'm listening to as I type this.

The Spieglworld Spiegeltent is truly an wondrous place.

The Indigo bellydancers are my heroes, particularly the beautiful Mardi Love who I had the pleasure of taking a workshop with on Sunday.

Best of all, I am so happy to be home to my dog and kitties and husband.
More soon on the Yard Dogs Road Show and more!

2 comments:

Sam McDonald said...

Welcome home, Snoopy! Glad you had fun in the Big City (or Cities).

ekrobi said...

I'm jealous of your super fun vacation! And definitely agree that the Birchmere is a bizarro venue.