WASTING TIME (MINE & YOURS)

Monday, October 15, 2007

The great American band?


Last March I had the great pleasure of seeing all-girl band Rocket open up for Butch Walker and the Let's-Go-Out-Tonights at the NorVa in Norfolk, VA. Rocket was energtic and fun, made up of five of the cutest and coolest young ladies you could find. The lead girl even strapped on a keytar, which earned the band an instant place in my heart. With a sound that fuses glam rock with the sweetness of '60s girl group pop and contemporary punk, Rocket was far more entertaining and listenable than headliner Butch Walker (sorry, Butch, the album is just far better than the live show).
I got to meet Rocket after they played while they hocked their merch. The girls were actually prettier up close. Even better was that they were super nice, friendly and laid-back. These girls have everything, the look, the sound and the personalities.
Last night I was watching The Simpsons and saw a commercial for some craptastic American Idol rip-off called "The Next Great American Band". I hate reality shows save for "L.A. Ink" (I love watching people get tattooed and I love the artists). I have never watched "American Idol" except for the first round in which all the terrible people sing and I get to laugh. I have never watched "Dancing with the Stars" or the top chef shows or the top model shows, and I certainly had no interest in watching "America's Next Band" or whatever its called. That is, until I saw a fleeting glimpse of Rocket on the commercial for the show last night.
I am baffled and confused. A band like Rocket doesn't seem like it would be part of such drivel. However, perhaps this show will give them some exposure and have them "rocketing" to fame (hee hee, bad pun). I don't know which is worse, pandering to the lowest common denominator of the American television-watching population or having a great band never recieve the attention they rightly deserve (of course, this is true of most great bands). I suppose Rocket could be hugely popular, but at what price glory?
I have no idea if I will tune in to the show. I probably will out of morbid curiosity and the desire to "cheer on" Rocket, even though I am pretty sure the outcome of the show has long since been decided.
So here's hoping that lovely Lauren Rocket and beauty Kelly Rocket and brilliant Roxie Rocket (who was so cute it was impossible not to instantly fall in love with her!) make the big time but without compromising, without sacrificing and without changing their style or their sound.
There was one other reality show that I watched. It was the greatest show I've ever seen on tv and I wish to the heavens that they would put in on DVD. It was called "The WB's Superstar" and there will never be anything that good on tv again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rocket should win based solely on the fact that they have a keytar.

Anonymous said...

WB Superstar was the best. I wonder if Mario is still in the Hampton Roads area, and what became of his engagement to the mysterious German.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.