WASTING TIME (MINE & YOURS)

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Lazy day movie


Yesterday was wonderful. I didn't have to go to work. Last week was 50+ hrs on the job, so it was a much-needed respite. I got some chores done and spent the rest of the day being lazy and knitting and watching movies. I watched one of my absolute favorite lazy (or sick) day movies, Me Without You. Starring Michelle Williams and Anna Friel, this 2001 UK film chronicles the friendship between two girls who grow up next door to one another. Michelle Williams is Holly, the mousy, cerebral girl and Anna Friel is Marina, the audacious party girl. Complications arise from Holly's infatuation with Marina's brother Nat (played by cutie Oliver Milburn). I like to watch this movie on lazy days cause my husband hates movies tagged "coming of age". However, I think Me Without You subverts a lot of the cliches with top-notch acting and an incredible soundtrack (Echo & The Bunnymen, The Clash, Nick Drake, etc.).


So this made me think about thos lovely movies like this one that are perfect for lazy days or sick days. I request that you, friends and visitors, leave me comments and let me know what your favorite lazy day movie is.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd have to go with either "First Blood" or "Rambo: First Blood Part II". Part three wasn't even fun on a sick day with Vicodin. And yes, this is for the same reason that you watch girly coming of age movies when I am not around! Commenter's note: Guy related coming of age movies aren't so bad because of the often middle school-maturity level jokes and feelings about boobies and butts.

Jeff said...

It's getting to be a cliche now (though it wasn't when I first saw it!), but I keep coming back to "The Big Lebowski" when I've got nothing else to do or watch.

I saw that movie in the theaters back when everybody thought it was the worst Coen Brothers film ever. I loved it then and I love it now, even though it's pulling a bandwagon these days.

Also "Fargo", which I find strangely relaxing. Really any Coen Brothers movie I can re-watch any number of times.

PunchBuggyBlues said...

I can't remember when the was the last time I even had a lazy day. I should get a good stomach flu and use up more sick days. I think the last time I stayed home really sick I watched the Zack Snyder "Dawn of the Dead" again and found that it holds up really well on multiple viewings. I know folks like it but I don't care. I think it works.

But there are movies that I could put on at any time and get sucked in til they're over and not notice the time - Raising Arizona, Batman Begins, Fight Club, Shaun of the Dead, The Shining...

And Lebowski was always great. And it ties into The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in a way that makes me smile.(Black Dossier out tomorrow - only thirteen months late. Yay!)

ekrobi said...

I usually end up with TV instead of movies on my lazy days: Episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on DVD. Since I've seen them all a million times, I can crochet while I watch them and not be afraid of missing anything.

iso.bot said...

I'm always lazy. About A Boy, Sleepy Hollow, Totoro, Serial Mom, Grosse Point Blank, Kill Bill(s)...
I seem to reach for them a lot.

For sick times - fun, mindless stuff like Fifth Element, Wedding Singer, Slither (!!!).

My anytime TV collections would be Spaced, Freaks and Geeks, and Undeclared.