WASTING TIME (MINE & YOURS)

Monday, January 5, 2009

A year's worth of opinions

Hello! Happy 2009 folks. Last year was in turns lovely and eventful and stressful and scary and beautiful. I'm looking forward to lots of excitement in 2009, including an impending summer vacation to...Romania! More on that news another time, this post is for my top 10 or so albums of 2008.

1. The Cure 4:13 Dream
The Cure returns in top form with their best in well over a decade, perhaps 2. I've managed to lose my copy and I'm devastated. Hopefully I'll find it, otherwise I need to download it ASAP.

2. Girl in a Coma Both Before I'm Gone
This is cheating because this album was released in 2007. However, I finally picked it up in the late summer because of my obsession with Kathie Olivas (she is responsible for the excellent cover art). These girls are completely badass and I can't stop playing this. It's on Joan's Jett's Blackheart Records if that gives you some idea of how this sounds.

3. DeVotcKa A Mad and Faithful Telling
My friends pestered me about DeVotcKa (how many times did you see them this year, Atlanta?!?) and I finally picked up the album. It's every bit as good as was promised.

4. Tindersticks The Hungry Saw
I am kind of surprised that these guys are still plugging along. They are at the top of their game after a long break. Always haunting and gorgeous. Full of simple melodies and lush, layered instrumentation.

5. Goldfrapp Seventh Tree
Goldfrapp has never once let me down. After their glitter and glam opus Supernature, this album hews closer to their debut, Felt Mountain, but with a more sunny, pastoral feel.
6. Kate Nash Made of Bricks
Kate's not exactly Lily Allen, but she's fairly similar. However, Kate writes her own stuff and is proficient on several instruments. It's a distinctly British album, equal parts wit, cheek and bile.

7. Mercury Rev Snowflake Midnight
I love these guys and I'm forever a fan. I love this crazy electronic experiment.
8. DragonForce Ultrabeatdown
Well, it's certainly my favorite album title of the year! DragonForce is in full effect, delivering power metal at breakneck speed.

9. Flight of the Conchords
Funny.

10. Amanda Palmer Who Killed Amanda Palmer?
Dresden Doll Amanda released her first solo effort. Guess what? Sounds like Dresden Dolls. It's very nice. Dresden Dolls released a sort of B-sides album, No Virginia, but I slightly prefer Amanda's solo effort.

Runners up: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds Dig!!! Lazarus, Dig!!!, Black Kids Partie Traumatic, Beck Modern Guilt, MGMT Oracular Spectacular, Portishead 3, Man Man Rabbit Habits, Emilie Autumn Opheliac, Soundtrack to Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, compilation for Nightmare Revisited


Okay, folks! Your turn to post your top favorite albums of 2008. Perhaps maybe your top 10 songs, like Toggle Switch (very nice, my friend). Maybe top 10 movies? That's up next for me. Go ahead, I dare ya!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Cure are has beens recycling the same old rubbish.

Mercury Rev album was twee, dull and up it's own behind.

Flight of The Conchords are funny. For the first listen.

Dresden Dolls and Amanda Palmer are pretentious and embarrassing.

Goldfrap are coctail bar music.

Dragonforce. Power metal is NEVER good.

Tindersticks: See The Cure

Devotcka are the sort of band who'd soundtrack a middle brow "quirky indie film" like Little Miss Sunshine. Oh wait...

Do not agree with your list stranger though your runner ups are great, MGMT and Cave for the years best albums!