WASTING TIME (MINE & YOURS)

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

randomness


My weekend was weird. It was not very good. I was happy to get back to work. Most days are great and easy and I don't think about all the stuff I am not supposed to do. But every now and then I have a really, really bad time of it and the world just crumbles. My husband is the greatest human being in the world.

So mad props to Matt, go visit him here.

My friend Atlanta attended the Dresden Dolls show with me at the NorVa last week. She has posted a great rundown of the show along with some great pics on her blog. Check it out here.

My sister is in a band in the D.C. area called the Friends of the Library. They were live on the D.C. radio station WMUC 88.1FM's program called Third Rail Radio. They sounded great. Well, my sister sounded great. The mix was kinda lousy (we listened to the live stream online) and the vocalist was a bit shaky (could be attributed to the mix?). I will post a recording of the program soon.

Saw several movies over the weekend. Friday we watched John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson in 1408. The movie started off really well but deteriorated into boring "evil haunted place" cliches like bleeding walls. I'm sorry, but a radio playing The Carpenter's "We've Only Just Begun" isn't that terrifying. A bit irritating, but not frightening. 1408 was quite the disappointment. Then next up we watched "Masters of Horror: The Washingtonians". I intend to do an extensive post about the Masters of Horror series very soon (I have one more episode to watch before I am able to say I've seen them all). I'm a big fan of the Masters of Horror series, but this was just appallingly bad. Boring and stupid and ridiculous. The premise was that a nice, normal family discovers a piece of lost history that proves that George Washington, President Numero Uno, was a vicious cannibal. This sounds kinda funny and could have been played for campy laughs, but they tried to play it too straight-faced and it was just retarded. Oops, according to new state legislation I can't use that word. Our P.C. government wants me to use the phrase "people with intellectual disabilities" in place of the term "retarded". So "The Washingtonians" was intellectually disabled. In case you are wondering, the replacement of the word "retarded" has made front page news here. Check out here if you are interested.

Also, I watched Eastern Promises for the second time and it's one of those rare movies that plays even better upon a second viewing. Took my grandmother to see No Country for Old Men and that was great a second time. Grandmother loved it, too. Then yesterday Matt and I hit the theatre once more for some lighter fare with Juno. I rather enjoyed Juno, and I like it better the more I think about it. My expectations were really low on this one so I was not at all disappointed. Then last night I saw The Simpsons Movie for the second time and it works just as well on time # 2.

That sums up the past few days of my life. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

iso.bot said...

i couldn't get into 1408 either. actually, i fell asleep during it. the version netflix sent me was apparently the "alternate ending," and i contemplated renting the theatrical ending, but i couldn't be bothered.

and i really, really loved juno. it makes me smile every time i think of it, it was so damn precious. i have yet to meet a person of any generation who dislikes it.