WASTING TIME (MINE & YOURS)

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Donkey fruit


My friend fussed at me for being so slack and not posting. I have LOTS to post about my metal music mayhem weekend, but no time to write properly. It's busy at the theatre prepping for The Mystical Arts of Tibet right now. This is a crazy week that I greatly anticipate yet deeply dread each year.

I'll get to work writing about last weekend. In the meantime, enjoy the photo above. It's a fruit carving that my husband's uncle made. His uncle, Tom Rhodes, is an accomplished carver. He's published a book on carving golf balls called Golf Ball Carving Unlimited. He has a piece of property that's sort of a local park area and he's carved these interesting faces into the trees. Parents take their kids to the area and walk through what the locals call "The Enchanted Forest". He's got crazy skills and has been featured in a number of carving magazines. For our small family reunion last month, Tom made this fruit sculpture inspired by the donkey from Shrek. Somebody stuck a knife in it's head and I had to snap a picture.

2 comments:

kim said...

Nice donkey! So where on earth is the Enchanted Forest?

Misty Beethoven said...

The Enchanted Forest is on a small plot of land in Warsaw, VA, right near Tappahannock. There are about 20 or so faces in the trees. There's even a Spongebob and a Harry Potter. The little kids with us went completely nuts, they loved it so much.