WASTING TIME (MINE & YOURS)

Friday, August 22, 2008

I'll need a stage name


My name has been purloined by the Bellydance Superstar, Moria Chappell. I suppose I'll have to make something up when and if the time arises that I need one. We pronounce our names in the same manner, and I just can't compete with this woman who is as big around as my pinky finger and can pull her foot behind her ear (yes, that's her in the photo above, it certainly isn't me).

Tomorrow, Maria and Moria will meet face to face in an unforgettable square-off in which only the most cunning woman will survive.

No, not really, but we will indeed meet tomorrow. She's giving an intense workshop tomorrow and Sunday at the studio where I study. I'm very anxious because Moria is an incredible dancer, she is extremely athletic and technically accomplished. Her "tribal boot camp" workshop will no doubt help me a great deal on my journey to becoming a not-quite-so-pathetically-inept belly dancer.

Following the intense five hour workshop tomorrow, it's off to the summer hafla (that's bellydance for "recital"). It's my first recital! It's the first time I've danced onstage since I was a tot in ballet classes. It should be fun, our dance is very cool and our costumes are sickeningly cute. My instructor, Dana Beaufait, is an excellent and creative tribal dancer. She's choreographed a great little number for us, plus she designed the cute costumes. She's got a DVD available, Voi, based on her interpretation of fire spinning using veils rather than fire. She's a great pleasure to study with.

I have a feeling that I'll be exhausted and barely able to function following this brutal weekend, but hopefully I'll be better off for it.

2 comments:

Sam McDonald said...

I hope you have lots of fun on your dancing adventure. I'm sorry Patty and I won't be there to witness the sensational spectacular! Tell Matt to take lots of pictures.

Anonymous said...

Hope the recital went well! I'll have one of my own in December (I just signed up for a rhythm tap performance class). Exciting! We need to go on the road with our own variety show.