WASTING TIME (MINE & YOURS)

Saturday, July 19, 2008

No fair


I'm so peeved. Really, really peeved.

Why in frickin' frack do crapfests like Strange Wilderness (an impressive 00% rating on Rotten Tomatoes) , The Love Guru, Zohan, etc, open in wide release and play on thousands of screens while deserving films flounder in obscurity?

Yes, it's an age-old question for film buffs like myself, but I'm really getting irritated. The movie I have been most excited about this year (nope, sorry, it's actually not The Dark Knight) is Ryuhei Kitamura's adaptation of Clive Barker's Midnight Meat Train. I saw the preview at a theatre in January. I got excited in January, despite the fact that the release date wasn't until May. Then some kind of bull went down at Lionsgate and they have now pushed the release date back to August 1st. Rumour is that the film will only show on about 100 screens and will be released on DVD shortly thereafter.

Now, I understand why films like The Mongol and The Fall aren't given a wide release. However, a film like Midnight Meat Train as well most horror movies have a modest budget and are able to recoup expenses and make some money at theatres without having to reap blockbuster profits. Gore hounds like myself are eager to plunk down $$$ for our blood fix. This one is a puzzler. The preview makes the film look slick and moody and creepy, it doesn't bear the appearance of direct-to-video junk. Early reviews have been positive. Barker fans are chomping at the bit and writing letters to Lionsgate pleading for a wider release. Ryuhei Kitamura's reputation has always been good and his films have a following well outside of his native Japan. I'm so baffled!

Plus, Midnight Meat Train may very well be my favorite movie title of all time. So let's all cross our fingers...August 1st...please...

2 comments:

Sam McDonald said...

What? You didn't like Zohan? I'm confused.

PunchBuggyBlues said...

To add insult to injury, some of the theaters it's opening in are second-run theaters.