WASTING TIME (MINE & YOURS)

Friday, May 8, 2009

Crowe's movie music moments

I have a big gooshy soft spot for Cameron Crowe. I'm not much for romantic films, let alone romantic comedies. However, Crowe makes 'em like no other, smart yet sweet and usually a killer soundtrack. I loved Say Anything..., Singles, heck, even Jerry Maguire was darn good. Plus, as many of you know, Almost Famous is hands-down my favorite movie of all time. The music is terrific, every actor is perfectly cast (even Kate Hudson who now makes a tad nauseous in every other movie I've seen her in), and there's not a false moment despite its inherent sentimentality. I love generally love the music in Crowe's films. Here's Crowe's list of his favorite musical cues in film. Although I have to disagree with a few (in particular the choice of the movie Once which I still think was trite and twatty), there are some excellent picks. I would definitely and wholeheartedly agree with #10, #2 and #1. The honorable mentions are good, too. My list would be slightly different. God knows every other list in the world including my own would have Lloyd Dobler outside Ione Skye's bedroom window blasting Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" in Crowe's Say Anything... or even Ryan Adams' "Come Pick Me Up" from the scene in which Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst are talking on the phone in Elizabethtown. I could come up with endless music moments in film, but I won't bore you kind readers. Instead check out Crowe's and maybe give me a comment holler about your faves.

2 comments:

LJ said...

Couldn't agree more about Almost Famous... one of my favorites. The one on Cameron Crowe's "Sorry I couldn't stop" list that stood out for me was 'Downed' (Cheap Trick)
Over the Edge (1979). Loved, loved, loved that movie... still have the soundtrack in my pile of old albums. I guess it spoke to my inner rebel when I was a goody-2-shoes 9th grader!

Matt said...

I'd have to say "Girl you'll be a woman soon" in pulp fiction, right before and during Uma's OD. Of course, the overture of Jesus Christ Superstar (hippies unloading the bus scene), Beethoven's 5th during Clockwork Orange, "Boots" (nancy sinatra) during the me so horny scene of Full Metal Jacket, etc. etc...