WASTING TIME (MINE & YOURS)

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I want to eat pie


This past weekend I watched the film Waitress. The film started out nicely enough, but it finished up corny and hoaky. There were some very enjoyable things about the movie, but the main characters were all too broadly drawn and morally questionable. However, the featured pies looked delicious and I'm considering ordering the Border's special edition DVD because it comes with pie recipe cards. Yum!
The great tragedy surrounding Waitress was the horrific murder of writer/director/actress Adrienne Shelly. She was such a talented and beautiful woman (that's her in the picture above). I loved her as Hal Hartley's muse in the films The Unbelievable Truth and Trust. As Maria Coughlin in Trust, Adrienne Shelly shaped an unforgettable character. "I'll marry you if you admit that respect, admiration and trust equal love" she said to Martin Donovan's character Matthew. He agrees, of course. It was a great moment in cinema for me. I must have seen Trust 10 times or more in the mid to late 90s. I'm a little sad that her legacy will be Waitress because I believe that she could have gone on to bigger and better directorial efforts. She was lovely. Everyone should go out and rent Trust right away and see how incredible Shelly was. And even picking up Waitress wouldn't hurt you, either.

2 comments:

ekrobi said...

I just made two pies for my office holiday potluck, so I am a pie expert now. I can bring you pie next week if you want!

Misty Beethoven said...

Yes, of course I want a pie! Of course! I love you!